I have found myself saying that a few times these last few days. It is very true, worst things then autism happen everyday. We don't have to be on high guard against heart issues, we don't have to monitor breathing or rush to the ER every time someone has a fever. I can think of so many things that scare me more then autism.
I won't pretend like it's easy to be a mom to a child with autism, but it's not the hardest thing I've done either. I'm not an Autism is Awesome kind of mom, it sucks big time! I'd love to have a daughter who was into dolls instead of cars, who could demand to be treated like a princess, heck I'd take a fit for a toy in the middle of a store. Would I prefer to have three "normal" children? Of course, I'm not crazy. But in the same respect, I wouldn't change any of my children either.
Our oldest is a smarty pants and had long ago figured out how to push our buttons and when. Our middle is our sweetheart, she melts our heart without trying, as sweet as can be. Our youngest is the rough one (yes rougher then the older two and they hold their own!) he's smart, brave and has a smile that could light up the world. We have been given three healthy and beautiful children, even with their flaws they are prefect to me.
At the end of the day we are blessed, we have a daily reminder to slow down and look around. The world is big and there are so many ways to see it.
You had tears in my eyes!!
ReplyDelete